Applying for a Romanian work permit

In most cases, a work permit has to be applied for by a business in Romania on behalf of its prospective employee. It is the employer’s responsibility to prove that the position could not be filled by a Romanian or a candidate from another EU/EEC country.

The employer must also prove that the candidate has the qualifications and experience for the position. This requires supporting documents that an expat would need to provide such as a CV, reference letters, criminal clearance and medical checks. The process for obtaining a Romanian work permit can take up to 45 days.

Once an expat receives their work permit from the employer, they need to apply for a long-stay visa for work purposes at the Romanian embassy in their home country. To get the visa, a number of documents will have to be submitted, including the work permit, proof of sufficient funds and medical insurance.

After arriving in Romania, a non-EU expat will need to register with the Romanian Ministry of Finance and get Cod de Identificare Fiscala (CIF), a tax registration certificate with similar functions to a personal identification number. This requires a passport, visa, work permit, proof of residence and a copy of the employment contract.

The CIF and long-stay visa are necessary for expats to get a stay permit at their closest General Inspectorate for Immigration in Romania. This has to be done at least 30 days before the long-stay visa expires. Expats will also have to provide proof of residence, salary and identification, as well as medical clearance.

An expat’s stay permit is tied to their work permit, which is valid for a maximum of one year. Provided that they still work for the same employer, an expat would only need to renew their stay permit at least 30 days before it expires since the work permit would be renewed at the same time.

Expats travelling with their families will have to apply for a separate visa for each family member. Family members are not allowed to work in Romania unless they also have a work permit. Those already in the country on a temporary residence permit would have to apply for a work permit if they want to take up employment in the country.

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.